Monday, July 20, 2009

AMD

I should start by saying that I've always been partial to AMD's processors. When I used to build my own PCs, I used AMD exclusively.

I believe that the EU's recent anti-trust rulings against Intel will favor AMD attempts to compete on a level playing field.

I also think that AMD should - in theory - have the sales advantage during a recession because their products consistently provide more horsepower for the dollar.

Combine this now with Google's efforts to release an operating system, and I think we're going to see a reemergence of the PCs wars. Such a burst in spending will greatly improve the AMD bottom line.

In the 90's, our choice was simply Apple OS on Apple hardware or Windows OS on a variety of PC hardware choices. Today, Windows can run on either AMD or Intel, as will Google Chrome and other Linux systems. In fact, Apple is now running on x86 architecture and could easily run their systems on AMD.

Barring some unforeseen revelation, there is nowhere to go but up for AMD.

No comments: